Sunday, April 25, 2010

chicken nachos :)

I hope everyone enjoyed their Sunday as much as i have! After my Larry's Beans this morning Craig and i headed to Durham to spend the day with my family. As per usual, we ate lunch with my parents, grandmother, aunt, uncle and cousin. We had her infamous "meat with sticks" also known as pork ribs :) They were so tasty! We also had some mac n cheese, green beans and mixed veggies. We headed over to my other grandparent's house to visit with them for a bit and came back to to the good ole City of Oaks :) For dinner tonight we had chicken nachos...yes people i did say nachos and you will be surprised at the calorie count! I used to be addicted to the at home taco kits in the store, but upon meticulously reading the labels, i couldn't find any that weren't hydrogenated and the seasoning packets were full of mono-sodium glutamate (MSG). Needless to say, they did not jump in my grocery cart and ride home with us. (MSG is simply a flavor enhancer. It's bad for you because it stimulates the pancreas and releases insulin into your blood stream even when there are not any carbohydrates in the dish for the insulin to act on. Your blood sugar ends up dropping because of this flood of insulin, and then you end up hungry again an hour or so later. Many people are sensitive to MSG and can experience headaches, mood changes, and nausea, so stay clear of MSG!) So back to dinner....I made essentially chicken nacho salad. Here's how i did it!

1 Carrot peeled and julienned (cut into matchsticks)
2 small cucumbers peeled and julienned
8-10 cherry tomatoes, chopped

bell pepper (color of your choice) *not me i don't eat peppers but craig does*
4 romaine leaves torn apart

shredded cheese

4 teaspoons chilli powder

1.5 teaspoons cumin

salt and pepper

boneless skinless chicken breast sliced

2 tablespoons EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)

Tostitos Organic Corn Chips

prepare vegetables
in a skillet
heat 2 tablespoons EVOO, add chicken and seasonings, and cook throughout (10 mins)

remove from heat and build your nachos!


*Don't forget the organic rule on the veggies*

Feel free to add any vegetables you prefer, onion, peppers, etc... I'm picky and don't eat onions or peppers, but by all means if you do, go for it! Hope you all enjoy! Your final calorie count is 334 calories per serving, I made enough for 2 servings

I'm getting my hair done tomorrow (YAY) and my Dad's birthday is Tuesday so I'll be out of commission for a few days, perhaps I'll review where we went for his birthday!


Have a great week everyone!




2 comments:

Mary Williams said...

Your dish looks yummy and colorful A nice presentation. I will have to try it soon!

We avoid MSG too and now we know why after we eat Chinese food we are hungry an hour later.

You would have been proud of your dad in the grocery... everything he picked up he read the label on so we came away with good health stuff (for the most part).

Callie said...

thanks mom :)i'm glad kevin is getting it! hope you found some decent half&half :)